- blotting out of sins for the nation as a collective body.
- by the high priest once a year at the 10th day of 7th month (Leviticus 16:29)
Leviticus 16:2, "And the Lord said unto Moses, speak unto Aaron, thy brother, that he come not at all times into the holy place within the veil, before the mercy seat, which is upon the ark; that he die not: for I will appear in the cloud upon the mercy seat:"
Leviticus 16:30, 34, “For on that day shall the priest make an atonement for you, to cleanse you, that ye may be clean from all your sins before the LORD… And this shall be an everlasting statute unto you, to make an atonement for the children of Israel for all their sins once a year.”
Things that happened during the yearly atonement:
1. The high priest will bring a young bullock for a sin offering. Leviticus 16:3
2. And for the congregation of the children of Israel he will take two kids of goat (one for sin-offering and the other for the scape-goat) and one ram for a burnt offering. Leviticus 16:5
3. Leviticus 16:4, "He shall put on the holy linen coat, and he shall have the linen breeches upon his flesh, and shall be girded with a linen girdle, and with the linen mitre shall he be attired: these [are] holy garments; therefore shall he wash his flesh in water, and so put them on."
4. The high priest will kill the bullock of the sin offering for himself. Leviticus 16:11
5. “And he shall take a censer full of burning coals of fire from off the altar before the LORD, and his hands full of sweet incense beaten small, and bring it within the veil: And he shall put the incense upon the fire before the LORD, that the cloud of the incense may cover the mercy seat that [is] upon the testimony, that he die not.” Leviticus 16:12-13
6. “And he shall take of the blood of the bullock, and sprinkle [it] with his finger upon the mercy seat eastward; and before the mercy seat shall he sprinkle of the blood with his finger seven times.” Leviticus 16:14.
Atonement for the people:
1. Then shall he kill the goat of the sin offering, that [is] for the people,. Leviticus 16:15.
2. and bring his blood within the veil, Leviticus 16:15.
3. and do with that blood as he did with the blood of the bullock, and sprinkle it upon the mercy seat, and before the mercy seat: Leviticus 16:15.
4. And he shall make an atonement for the holy [place],. Leviticus 16:16
5. To do this, from the Most holy place, he will go out and into the altar of incense in the holy place, with the blood of the bullock and the goat, he will put the blood into the horns of the altar round about it and sprinkle the blood upon it with his finger seven times and cleanse it and hallow it from the uncleanness of the children of Israel. Leviticus 16:18, 19.
Why did the altar of incense need an atonement?
Because in the daily ministration, the blood of the victim was also sprinkled into the altar of incense. Leviticus 4:5-10.
Exodus 30:10, "And Aaron shall make an atonement upon the horns of it once in a year with the blood of the sin offering of atonements: once in the year shall he make atonement upon it throughout your generations: it is most holy unto the LORD."
The live goat:
1. he (Aaron) shall bring the live goat:. Leviticus 16:20
2. And Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat, and confess over him all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the goat, and shall send [him] away by the hand of a fit man into the wilderness:. Leviticus 16:21
3. A fit man will send the live goat away into the wilderness. Leviticus 16:21, 22
The iniquities of the nation Israel was confessed to the scapegoat by the high priest. Leviticus 16:21
Jesus, the Most High Priest will place all sins to satan.
The scapegoat was brought to the wilderness by a fit man. Leviticus 16: 22
Revelation 20:3, “And cast him (dragon = satan) into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.”
The scapegoat no longer returned to the camp
Satan will be forever banished from the presence of God and His people and will be blotted from existence in the final destruction of sin and sinners.
The process of atonement continues:
- And Aaron shall come into the tabernacle of the congregation, and shall put off the linen garments, which he put on when he went into the holy [place], and shall leave them there: Leviticus 16:23
- And he shall wash his flesh with water in the holy place, and put on his garments, and come forth, and offer his burnt offering, and the burnt offering of the people, and make an atonement for himself, and for the people. Leviticus 16:24
- And he that let go the goat for the scapegoat shall wash his clothes, and bathe his flesh in water, and afterward come into the camp. Leviticus 16:26.
- And the bullock [for] the sin offering, and the goat [for] the sin offering, whose blood was brought in to make atonement in the holy [place], shall [one] carry forth without the camp; and they shall burn in the fire their skins, and their flesh, and their dung. Leviticus 16:27.
- And he that burneth them shall wash his clothes, and bathe his flesh in water, and afterward he shall come into the camp. Leviticus 16:28.
Leviticus 16:31, “It [shall be] a sabbath of rest unto you, and ye shall afflict your souls, by a statute for ever.”
The high priest entered into the Most Holy place once a year
Jesus Christ entered into the Most Holy Place in heaven to cleanse the heavenly sanctuary. Daniel 8:14
Things that can defile the earthly sanctuary:
- Somebody who is not purified can enter and defile the sanctuary. Leviticus 12:4.
- Leviticus 21:12, “Neither shall he go out of the sanctuary, nor profane the sanctuary of his God; for the crown of the anointing oil of his God is upon him: I am the LORD.”
- 2 Chronicles 36:14, “Moreover all the chief of the priests, and the people, transgressed very much after all the abominations of the heathen; and polluted the house of the LORD which he had hallowed in Jerusalem.”
- Ezekiel 5:11, “Wherefore, as I live, saith the Lord GOD; Surely, because thou hast defiled my sanctuary with all thy detestable things, and with all thine abominations, therefore will I also diminish thee; neither shall mine eye spare, neither will I have any pity.”
- Zephaniah 3:4, “…her priests have polluted the sanctuary, they have done violence to the law.”
Colossians 1:19-20, "For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell. And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven."
Hebrews 9:23-24, “It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us.”
Hebrews 9:16-17, “For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.”
Hebrews 9:18,“Whereupon neither the first testament was dedicated without blood. For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people.”
1 Peter 4:17, “Judgment must begin at the house of God; and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel?”
Revelation 22:11, 12, "He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be"
Daniel 7:10, “…judgment was set, and the books were opened.”
Revelation 20:12, “Another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.”
Book of life:
- “Rejoice, because your names are written in Heaven.” Luke 10:20
- Philippians 4:3, “And I entreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and [with] other my fellowlabourers, whose names [are] in the book of life.”
- Daniel 12:1, “and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.”
- Revelation 21:27, “And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither [whatsoever] worketh abomination, or [maketh] a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.”
“Remember me, O my God, . . . and wipe not out my good deeds that I have done for the house of my God.” Nehemiah 13:14.
Book of Remembrance:
- Malachi 3:16, “Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard [it], and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name.”
- every act of sacrifice we make towards others, the poor, the needy, the sick, the suffering, the sorrowful and every pain, and every thing that we endured for Christ's sake, it is faithfully recorded and will be rewarded for their love towards others..
- “Thou tellest my wanderings. Put thou my tears into thy bottle; are they not in thy book?” Psalm 56:8.
Book of Iniquities:
- “For God shall bring every work into Judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.” Ecclesiastes 12:14.
- “Every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of Judgment.” “By thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.” Matthew 13:36, 37.
Matthew 25:31-34 , "When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:"